With Spring just around the corner I was thinking of how the Mississippi River will be opening up for traffic again soon, and thought it would be fun to write about some facts that maybe some of you do not know. Enjoy!
- At the headwaters of the Mississippi the surface speed of the water is 1.2 miles an hour. Just before the water hits the ocean in New Orleans, the speed has only increased to around 3 mph. A drop of water in Itasca Park would take about 90 days to reach the ocean.
- The length of the river is constantly changing, but is recorded at between 2300-2550 miles, depending on what you read.
- Its widest spot is near Alton, IL at around 1 mile across.
- Its deepest spot is in New Orleans where it has spots that are 200 feet deep.
- There are 29 locks and dams on the Mississippi between here and St Louis, MO.