You might not think that something as small as a clogged gutter could have a big impact on your home, but you would be wrong. If your gutters are clogged, broken or otherwise obstructed, water cannot flow away from your home like it should. That standing water can in turn damage the very foundation of the property, resulting in thousands of dollars worth of damage.
The best way to avoid these kinds of problems is to check your gutters frequently and get help when it is needed. If you suspect that your gutters are clogged, calling a professional to clean and inspect them is the best course of action.
It is a good idea to check your gutters after every heavy rain or storm. When checking for damage, just watch out for these classic warning signs of a clogged gutter.
- You spot birds coming to and from your gutters. Birds love to nest in out of the way places, and it doesn't get more out of the way than your gutters. If you spot birds coming and going from the top of your home, chances are good your feathered friends have set up shop - and a nest - in your gutters.
- Plants are growing along your gutters. Your gutters are designed to move water, and all that moisture can attract plants and encourage them to grow. If you spot vegetation in and around your gutters, it is time to call in a professional.
- You spot puddles after every heavy rain. If you spot large puddles along the perimeter of your home, chances are your gutters are not doing their job. You should suspect clogged gutters if puddles form in the same areas every time it rains.
- The gutters are sagging or broken. In extreme cases a buildup of debris can cause the gutters to sag or even break. If you spot sagging or other damage, it is time to call a professional and have your gutters cleaned, inspected and repaired if necessary.
- You spot nails or screws emerging from the gutters. Over time the nails and screws that hold your gutters in place can start to fail. If you spot any emergent fasteners, it is time to have your gutters repaired or replaced.
Keeping a close on your gutters is one of the best ways to prevent damage to your home. Knowing the warning signs of a clogged or damaged gutter will give you time to call in the pros at Sela Gutter Connection and prevent serious damage to your home and property.