Wednesday, August 30th, 2017 by Sela Gutter
We love gutters and everything about them, but here are five things you might not know about them!
- Gutters have been utilized since as far back as 3000 B.C. The Harappan civilization lived in the area that is now Pakistan and used brick-covered drain systems to divert water away from structures that could be damaged by the continuous exposure to moisture.
- Original gutter systems were made of wood. Today, aluminum, copper, vinyl and steel to provide long-lasting service for structures.
- Gutters were once used on automobiles to divert snow and drain fro falling on drivers and passengers as they exited vehicles. Rails were installed on the roof of the car that ultimately affected aerodynamics and airflow. They were fazed out of automotive design in the 1980s.
- Copper gutters have enjoyed resurgence in recent years because their good looks and durability. Over time, copper discolors to an attractive sheen that gives buildings a look of stability and elegance.
- Proper installation of gutters is important not only for preserving the structure against moisture, but also to prevent water pooling in the system where it can become a breeding ground for mosquitoes that can cause disease.